Reply To: How to approach a parent about developmental screening of their child?

• Hannah

December 22, 2022 at 10:07 pm

What are some good ways to approach a parent about the developmental screening of their child?

This is a very tricky subject to talk to parents about because no parent wants to hear that their child could potentially be developmentally delayed. As many others have said, it is best to script out what you’re going to say so that you say enough but that you also don’t say too much. Provide them with your observations and documentation so that they can visually see and understand what you are talking about. I would keep a calm tone and validate their feelings. I would also talk with other teachers about what they would say if they had to talk with parents about a developmental delay. I would not share any information about the child due to privacy and respect. Answer questions that the parents have and find out the answers if you do not know them. Lastly, provide them with what’s next steps and resources, and assure them that you will be there right beside them every step of the way.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 4 months ago by  Hannah Sale.