Child Care Basics
Active 4 hours ago
Trainer Monitored Discussion -WACS influence on your day-to-day practice
Trainer Monitored Discussion -WACS influence on your day-to-day practiceRosie replied 2 months ago 47 Members · 133 Replies
ShyMemberMarch 19, 2023 at 10:52 pm
I discovered how detailed the WAC’s were. This is my first time working professionally in child care and I found it to be very informative. With this being my first time, the WAC’s will be influencing my day to day practice in caring for children.
MeganMemberMarch 21, 2023 at 5:54 am
I can see how WAC will influence me, because everything is in pretty simple terms, the way each section is written is well written, and leaves little room for confusion when reading it. This is a good recource to have.
Anna WandererMemberMarch 22, 2023 at 2:44 am
In some sort I do not see WACS influencing my day. But as well I believe there are also a lot of things it can effect. From having prior daycare experience some of these seemed to have came across as common knowledge.
MeganMemberMarch 23, 2023 at 2:46 am
- What did you discover about the WACs while completing the activity? I learned a lot about the regulations for nap times/ sleeping arrangements in care centers.
- Were you surprised by any of the WACs? I wasn’t that surprised by any of them.
- Can you see how the WACs will influence your day-to-day practice in caring for children? Why or why not? Yes, I learned a lot of important information and I find that most of things in the WAC’s will help me immensily.
HannahMemberMarch 24, 2023 at 12:05 am
I found a lot of interesting and surprising things in the WACs, they were all important items that you would need to know while learning about early learning. The WACs is a really helpful tool and also a great tool to help you with everyday struggles if you don’t know what to do, it for sure gives you a better guides with what you are doing.
AshtonMemberMarch 24, 2023 at 9:03 pm
I found nothing surprising in the WAC guidelines, as I am already familiar with the general policies and regulations of licensed youth care. I did, however, find out that there are a lot more regulations around early childhood care and education that has been discovered and implemented over the past decade, and how as a country we have a much better understanding of children’s socio-emotional development than in the past. The WAC will influence my day-to-day interactions with the children I care for because they are legal guidelines that need to be followed and considered in whole when working with children.
Orthwood3.25MemberMarch 27, 2023 at 1:37 am
First, props to the good people who run the Washington State Legislature’s website. I did not expect such a user friendly, intuitive interface for policy documents like this. This makes finding and using the WACs very easy. I can see how the WACs are relevant in much of what happens where I work. From record keeping to facility needs to staff training, it seems clear that the WACs are meant to be a guiding force in child care, with the aim of optimizing the health, safety, and well-being of children. I’m sure many of our philosophies of early childhood education may differ, but I’m glad to have these policies as a bedrock to ensure that early learning programs and the folks involved with them are operating responsibly.
RosieMemberMarch 27, 2023 at 10:08 pm
- What did you discover about the WACs while completing the activity?
- Were you surprised by any of the WACs?
- Can you see how the WACs will influence your day-to-day practice in caring for children? Why or why not?
1. I learned how extensive it is and that I appreciate the guidebook.
2. My biggest surprise was how extensively it incorporates the principles of ECE and the importance of families in connection to licensing. It feels like we are working to get all of the groups and people working in early childhood on the same page and it is great to see that this is happening at the systemic level.
3. Yes because it guides to “best practice” as opposed to “meeting expectations”