Child Care Basics
Active an hour ago
Are you sure you want to leave ?
Going on a WAC Hunt
Going on a WAC HuntPosted by Irene on September 7, 2022 at 9:13 pm
Ariana Sanders replied 9 hours, 42 minutes ago 4 Members · 12 Replies
- What did you discover about the WACs while completing the activity?
- Were you surprised by any of the WACs?
- Can you see how the WACs will influence your day-to-day practice in caring for children? Why or why not?
ceciliaMemberJuly 4, 2022 at 5:36 pm
there are so many helpful and useful tips to the WAC guidelines. They are useful because it keeps things in place and structured. This assignment was overwelming for me as well and i couldnt really navigate through to get all of the codes I needed.
MemberJuly 29, 2022 at 9:06 pm
1. I discovered that the learning centers must provide materials for children going to school so they can be prepared.
2. I was surprised to find out that facilities must provide the materials to students.
3.I can definitely see how WACs will influence my day-to-day practice in caring for children because it allows me to focus on the rules set in place for the care I will be providing.
JessMemberAugust 2, 2022 at 11:32 pm
1.) I discovered that the WACs are much more detailed then I had thought them to be. It seems very well thought out to cover any circumstance with clear and concise information.
2.) Actually, I was surprised how in-depth the WACs are. I knew that they were guidelines for operating a child care in WA state, but when I think of guidelines I think of vague ideas that are open to interpretation. These guidelines are very detailed, concise, clear, and leave little to the imagination; they are well thought out and achievable.
3.) I can, absolutely, see how knowing these will make me a better educator and caregiver for young children. They take the guess work out of finding the best care practices.
Cassidy SMemberAugust 25, 2022 at 9:13 pm
1. I was already familiar with most of the WAC’s having worked in a classroom and seen them posted around as reminders of what were working on but I was surprised to find the detailing in the guidebook to be as extensive as it was. Most of the time I see them condensed or summarized to make it a quicker update for the outsiders of the classroom to know what’s going on.
2. I don’t think I was surprised by many of the WACs but as previously stated I was impressed by the depth and range of coming at each focus point.
3. I can see how each WAC is incredibly helpful in grounding the principles of the classroom. It’s an explanation for procedure and a reminder of core values and rules as well as the many ways they can be properly applied to accommodate different learning environments. They add into the overall safety as well mandating things like first aid kids and hygiene as necessity. It’s helpful outside as well because it brings an underlying foundation for education as a whole having standards of ethics for everyone not just school by school or case by case.
ShokaMemberAugust 28, 2022 at 8:49 pm
1.) I discovered how each section of the WAC has a detailed explanation that reflects to creating a better and safe space for children to learn and explore.
2.) I found some WACs that I was not expecting to see such as animal regulations, firsst-aid requirements, and many more. Those extends to things I already know as well as things I did not expect to see in the childcare center, but it helped me to understand how important to notice each of the WACs so all the needs in the classroom is clearly met.
3.) Yes, because sometimes, there may be situations that I would be confused on how to response to the certain condition, which can easily happen when my own experience through upbringing and knowledge contradicts. WACs will be helpful to guide us through that condition to support children in most applicable way.
Yatzire Tapia MendozaMemberSeptember 1, 2022 at 4:26 am
1. What I discovered about WAC is that it is very organized and everything is clear and understandable. There are many tables and charts to understand what they are talking about and I think that is great because you are bale to see an actual visual of what things look like.
2. I actually wasn’t surprised about any WAC. I think that everything is straight forward and it all makes sense like the rules and concepts. I think that since we work with children in general that it is important to keep them safe and healthy and WAC makes sure that we do exactly that.
3. I do see how WAC influences my day to day because in any moment or activity I can do something that seems like a normal thing to do or use but for the safety of the children it is always a good thing to double check with WAC and these activities or items that we don’t usually see as a hazard or rule but it makes sense why it is.
ZakMemberSeptember 18, 2022 at 10:35 pm
- 1. The WACs are very specific and very helpful. I think I learned that in covers many different situations and I can look to it for any advice.
2. I was surprised by how vast the WACs stretch. It can be very specific for many different situations.
3. Yes because it is required to be up to date on them and that they are always changing for the safety of the children. So it guides be every day for children’s care.
rachel evansMemberSeptember 22, 2022 at 4:23 am
One thing is that I really realized that though I have my associates degree in early childhood education and was introduced to the WAC”s I truly knew nothing about them they are even more specific and detailed that I didn’t truly look at or realize in my cursory glances at them in the past.
DianeMemberSeptember 24, 2022 at 7:27 pm
1. One thing I discovered about the WACs was the thoroughness of each one. Which I believe will establish an achievable consistency of care throughout licensed centers.
2. The thing that surprised me the most is that there was a WAC address the center and animals. I understand why it is included, but it was just not something I would have considered before.
3. The WACs will definitely influence our day to day practices, at minimum just keeping a first aid kit in the classroom to extreme as being aware of signs of abuse as a mandated reporter.
MemberSeptember 25, 2022 at 8:31 am
WAC in other languages would be useful?
Erin RobbMemberSeptember 27, 2022 at 9:27 pm
It was helpful to have a small refresher course, I have been out of child care for several years, and it has been nice for me to know that the WACs are written in a way that I am able to understand. I also found it helpful to know that they cover a fair amount of issues that can take place in a child care center.
Ariana SandersMemberSeptember 28, 2022 at 3:06 pm
WAC are very helpfull